LEARN ABOUT FIBER
What is Fiber?
Fiber cables are thin pieces of glass strands about the same diameter as human hair. These cables use light instead of electrical current to transfer data. This means data can be sent around Gila River and the world at very high speeds!
Benefits of Fiber
- A major factor in making the move to fiber technology is that you are able to use fiber over longer distances with little to no signal slowing. Speeds are very fast and consistent.
- When using fiber technology waiting to upload and download from the internet is a thing of the past. This makes it easier for you to get things done.
- Uploading and downloading data between copper and fiber technology is very noticeable. We all have had to wait for a favorite movie to load, with fiber technology streaming is instantaneous.
- With old copper technology reliability was a concern. Copper cabling is very delicate and can break easily. Even though fiber cable is made of glass, fiber is strong and much more efficient.
Customers already operating on fiber will be contacted by GRTI to schedule an appointment to update the equipment in their homes. Current modems will be replaced with a new GigaSpire which will be placed inside your home, this will protect it from the extreme heat during the summer. The GigaSpire will work hand-in-hand with your fiber connection to deliver the best possible service.
Here’s how you can help GRTI
- An adult 18 years of age or older must be present during the installation.
- It is vital that you keep your scheduled appointment
Technology for the future
Fiber within the community allows GRTI to make sure our network is future proof, because fiber is so reliable that even if speeds become 1000 times faster in 20 years fiber can still support it.